Tuesday, January 21, 2014

BIO233, Jan 21, 2014, Chapter 1, review of microbiology

17 students finished pre-lecture assignments. Many students are not familiar with the 'adaptive mode' for Moodle quizzes.

13 students are on time. I played a youtube video during the waiting time. The video is microbiology overview. I then went through chapter 1, with clicker questions focused on comparing the 1900 and today's major cause of deaths in human populations. The goal is to teach students how to read figures. I started with figure legends, title, axes. Then compare the changes of colored bars in some categories.
  
I then briefly explain compound microscope. I used two plastic sheets to demonstrate the concept of 'contrast'. 

Contrast demo using plastic sheets. Use color to demonstrate contrast.

Announced that there will be a Lab on Wed on microscope and scale of microbes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment