Tuesday, April 11, 2017
UTC Research Day
The 2nd annual UTC RESEARCH Dialogues conference, celebrating Scholarship, Engagement, the Arts, Research,Creativity, & the Humanities will take place April 11th & 12th, 2017. Please take a moment to (1) sign up for one (or more) of the many presentation modes available AND (2) encourage your students to present; the deadline for entry is . Day 1 () is undergraduate-focused and Day 2 () spotlights graduate students and faculty. Faculty are encouraged to participate either or both days! There is a simple “Application to Present” form available for all presentation types. You can access details about the event including the schedule, event descriptions, guidelines, and the application form online: http://www.utc.edu/research-
Please block off some time on April 11th and 12th to engage with the RESEARCH Dialogues event as a participant or as an attendee to support your students and colleagues and contribute to the culture of scholarship and creative inquiry on our campus! If you have any questions or difficulties in registering, please contact Meredith-Perry@utc.edu.
Opportunities to Present
Scholarship and Creative Expression at UTC takes many forms – find the presentation formats that are best for you!
· Poster & Display Presentations: Faculty, staff, and students are invited to present posters or tabletop displays related to research, scholarship, or creative activity. Posters and displays can come in many shapes and sizes! If your presentation doesn’t work with a traditional poster format, that is no problem. Models, photos, laptop computers, interactive materials, listening stations, robots – all are welcome and can be accommodated.
· Podium Presentations: Faculty, staff, and student presenters are invited to make oral or visual presentations related to research, scholarship, or creative activity. Podium presentation sessions will be moderated.
· Panel Discussions / Group Presentations: Groups of presenters are invited to organize a panel discussion or group presentation.
· Performance Presentations: Individuals or groups of faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to participate in performance presentations in the UC Auditorium.
· Undergraduate Student Lightning Pitches: Undergraduate students are invited to compete in the Undergraduate Student Lightning Pitches. Students will have 2 minutes and can use up to 2 slides to make a pitch for funding for their research, scholarship, outreach, or creative activity. A panel of community judges will select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. 1st prize winner gets $100 gift card and a PSRA award (for continuing UTC students). 2nd and 3rd prize winners receive $75 and $50 gift cards respectively.
· Graduate Student 3 Minute Thesis: Graduate students are invited to compete in the 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) competition. Students will have 3 minutes and must follow official 3MT guidelines. A panel of community judges will select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. 1st prize winner gets $200 gift card and a PSRA award (for continuing UTC students). 2nd and 3rd prize winners receive $100 and $50 gift cards respectively.
· Faculty Elevator Speech Competition: Faculty and staff are invited to participate in the 2nd annual Elevator Speech competition. Faculty will have 4 minutes to make a pitch for support of their research, scholarship, engagement, or creative activity. A panel of community judges will select a winner for each topical category (STEM, Health, Arts & Humanities, and Social Sciences) who will receive a $1,500 mini-grant to support their pitch. A grand prize winner will be allocated a part-time graduate assistantship for the 2017-18 academic year.
Other Ways to Participate
There are plenty of ways to be involved!
· Be a champion for RESEARCH Dialogues in your department, college, unit, or division! Help spread the word.
· Moderate a podium presentation session, panel discussion, or performance session.
· Encourage your students to attend – consider offering a course or extra credit assignment associated with the event.
· Attend the Breakfast Plenary Session on 4/11 and the Lunch Plenary Session on 4/12.
· Attend the Reception on 4/12!