Tuesday, March 25, 2014

bio125, lac operon, human genome, review transformation results, prepare FOA assay,

Go over midterm grades as of March 22.

Discussed lac operon for 1hour . Asked students to draw lac operons on board, and worked through a problem set on unknown mutation in lac operon.

Several students asked why glucose can lead to low level of cAMP. We google searched and did not seem to get a short and clear answer. I used a balance to explain the inverse correlation between glucose and cAMP.





5 min break.

1.5 hour on UCSC human genome browswer on MSh2 locus.
Problem: Two student met "page not found" error from UCSC browers. I put a direct  link is provided on Moodle to solve this problem.

I picked a SNP that is a nonsense mutation.


When students download the SNP text file and tried to input into Excel, quite a few had problems. I showed that copy-past would import the text file into Excel.

I went through every student to check that they got the Excel ouput hMSH2 SNPs for participation grades.

At the end of the class, students volunteered to say one thing that they learned in today's class. This is a good conclusion exercise. 

I then quickly went over 5FOA assay on URA3 and MSH2 function.

I asked students to take pictures of their transformation plates, upload to GoogleDoc for lab reports.

I did not have a chance to go over Poster preparation assignments.

Reference:
Lab manual on UCSC human MSH2 locus
http://hongqinlab.blogspot.com/2014/03/msh2-ucsc-genome-browers.html


No comments:

Post a Comment